Heaton Middle School believes that coming to school each day DRESSED FOR SUCCESS supports the vision of the College and Career oriented culture. The dress code for the 2019-2020 school year addresses the need for success, safety, and modesty, which helps support the sanctity and consistency of the learning environment.
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian and student to read the district’s dress code policy (See SC&DC File: JICA) and to know what it is.
- All Students will be required to wear the uniform while on campus!
- Sweatshirts, hoodies, and jackets may be worn at lunch, coming to school, and leaving school. No hoodies, sweatshirts or jackets will be allowed in the classrooms/common areas. All of these items must be kept in a student’s locker (students are not permitted to carry them with them during the school day). Students are permitted to wear long-sleeve shirts and/or undershirts that are uniform approved.
- Bottoms ALL BOTTOMS MUST: Be Khaki/Tan in color ONLY.
- Be Twill fabric/material ONLY.
- Cargo shorts, Bermuda shorts, shorts, and Capris may be worn as long as they meet the previous stipulations.
- Skorts may or may not have pockets or belt loops.
- Tops ALL TOPS: Must be polo shirts with the Heaton logo (Monday through Thursday).
- May ONLY be gray or maroon in color.
- Undershirts may be worn but must ONLY be Black or White with no logos or print.
- Bottoms May NOT be made of ANY stretch or form-fitting material.
- NO yoga pants. May NOT be any color other than Khaki/Tan.
- Should NOT have rivets of any kind on seams or pockets (rivets are found on jeans).
- Tops May NOT have any logo other than approved Heaton Middle School Logos. Must NOT be excessively LARGE or SMALL.
- This includes both boys' and girls' shirts. May not be tied or otherwise altered from a natural drape on one’s body.
Special Dress Days
- Approved by the Principal first.
- Jean Days: blue or black colored jeans only! Shorts and jeans cannot have any rips, tears, or holes above the knees.
- NO Skirts, or short shorts
- NO Yoga pants!!!!
- NO Leggings!!
- Excessive Bracelets CAN NOT be worn. Students may wear one or two on each arm.
- NO High socks, mismatched socks
- No Gauges, spikes, body piercings (only ear piercings allowed) – Piercings MAY NOT be covered by band-aids! If a student chooses to wear a “plug” or “holder” in a piercing, it must be clear plastic and not protrude out of the skin/piercing hole(s) – cannot be seen!
- NO Adding to uniform - o Such as sunglasses, suspenders, scarves, neckties, bandanas, etc.
- NO Large colored headbands that cover the head.
- NO HATS while on the school campus (before, during or after school)
- NO headbands larger than ½ inch or colors other than black or white.
- NO Oversized clothing of any kind.
- NO Holes, tears, or rips in pants or shorts and shirts/undershirts.
- NO Sagging pants/shorts – below the waistline.
- NO Unnatural hair color (purple, blue, green, etc).
- NO Belts hanging down – entire belt must be through the loops
- NO Chain belts
- NO Mohawk over 2 inches long/tall and unnatural hairstyles
- NO Gang colors (red, brown, royal blue, etc.), logo’s (ANYTHING gang affiliated) o Such as gang colored shoelaces or belts, bandanas, etc.
- NO Visible tattoos related to gangs, drugs, weapons, etc
- NO Safety pins, rubber bands, or hair ties, etc can be used to tie back shirts.
- NO Bracelets with inappropriate sayings/symbols (ie. Boobies)
- NO Jewelry resembling weapons of any kind
- Dress code sweeps will be conducted periodically.
Students MUST correct any dress code violation before returning to class.