Students at Columbian Elementary School will NOT be required to wear a school uniform this year. We will follow the Districts' Dress Code Policy listed below.
A safe and disciplined learning environment is essential to a quality educational program. District-wide standards on student attire are intended to help students concentrate on schoolwork, reduce discipline problems, and improve school order and safety. The Board recognizes that students have a right to express themselves through dress and personal appearance; however, students shall not wear apparel that is deemed disruptive or potentially disruptive to the classroom environment or to the maintenance of a safe and orderly school. This policy is designed to ensure that all students are treated equitably regardless of race, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, cultural observance or body type/size.
Students must abide by the following general guidelines:
1. Students must wear a top, bottom, and hard-sole footwear while on school premises
2. Students may not wear gloves or sunglasses while inside a school building.
3. Students may not wear head coverings except for religious or documented medical purposes.
4. Whether standing or sitting, items must cover underclothing, shoulders, back, genitals, buttocks, stomach, and chest.
5. Items must be opaque
Students may not wear:
1. Items that make the student unidentifiable (except as a religious observation)
2. Items that contain sexually suggestive language or messages that is prohibited by the student code of conduct.
3. Items that could be used as weapons, including items with spikes or chains, or items that could be used to conceal weapons.
4. Items that promote illegal activity for students including drugs, alcohol, tobacco, weapons and/or gang affiliation, or violent conduct.
5. Items that depict hate speech, intimidation, or intolerance toward protected groups that is prohibited by the student code of conduct.
Penalties for violations of this policy shall be as follows:
1st offense: The student shall be warned, educated about this policy and provided an opportunity to correct the violation.
2nd offense: One day of in-school suspension may be imposed. The parent/guardian and student shall be required to review and sign a statement indicating their understanding of this policy.
Appropriate athletic clothing may be worn in physical education classes. Clothing normally worn
when participating in school-sponsored extracurricular or sports activities (such as cheerleading
uniforms and the like) may be worn to school when approved by the sponsor or coach.